HOME EXERCISE PROGRAM |
exercises will be taught to you during your physical therapy
sessions while in the hospital. Please do not hesitate to
ask questions regarding these if necessary. Pre-operatively,
do the exercises daily. For weeks 1-6 do the exercises 3 times
a day; weeks 7-12 do exercises 2 times a day; and for weeks
13-26 do exercises daily.
- Bend your ankles up and down. Do 20 repetitions.
- Keeping your knee straight, tighten your thigh muscle
by pushing the back of your knee down on the bed. Hold for
a count of 5. Relax. Do 20 repetitions.
- Keeping your knee straight, push your heel into the bed.
Hold for a count of 5. Relax. Do 20 repetitions.
- Lying on your back with a roll under your knee, so that
it is slightly bent, straighten your knee and hold for a
count of 5. Relax. Do not lift your leg off the roll. Do
- Either lying flat on your back or sitting, squeeze your
buttocks together and hold for a count of 5. Relax. Do 20
- Sitting in a chair leaning against the backrest, bend
your operated knee and slide your foot as far back under
the chair as possible. DO NOT LEAN FORWARD while performing
this exercise. Do 20 repetitions.
- Lying flat on your back or sitting, bend your knee and
slide your heel up the bed, keeping your toes and knee pointing
up toward the ceiling. Now slide your leg back down straight.
Do 20 repetitions.
- Lying flat on your back, bend your unoperated leg up and
place the foot flat on the bed. Keeping your operated knee
straight, slowly lift your leg up, making sure to lift the
heel first. Lift only as high as your other leg. Now slowly
lower your leg back down. Do not hold. Do 20 repetitions.
- Sitting with one leg off the bed and the foot on the floor,
and the operated leg straight on the bed, lean forward
reaching for your toes of the straightened leg. Keep your
back straight. Hold for a count of 10. Relax. Do 10 repetitions.